For argument’s sake, let’s say you have a clear idea of what self confidence is, and you appreciate that you already have everything it takes to become more self confident.
The next question is: why is it important to have self confidence? And why is it worth your time, effort, and energy to develop greater confidence in yourself?
Why do I want to be more confident?
One of the most important things for you to understand about self confidence is that it is a great and useful thing to have, but not the ‘right’ thing to have. Indeed, just like it’s neither right nor wrong for a glass to be full of water or for a glass to be empty, it’s neither right nor wrong to be full of self confidence or to lack self confidence.
Rather, it’s a question of how do you want to be and why.
This means that if you currently have low self confidence (or even no self confidence at all), this is a completely valid and acceptable way of being, so don’t spend even a second feeling bad about it.
Instead, appreciate this: your life improves in every way the more self confident you become. So that’s why it’s worth your time, effort, and energy to do so.
11 benefits of self confidence
You’ve already seen the big picture view of the two primary benefits of confidence: it naturally makes you happier and helps you be more successful.
However, you can dig down deeper to identify more specific benefits that are also worth appreciating.
With this in mind, here are 11 benefits of becoming a more self confident person:
- Greater self worth: the more self confidence you have, the more you value yourself and your capabilities, which means the more valuable you feel; this is what creates the effect of naturally holding your head up high, since you have higher self esteem and are proud of who you are
- More happiness and enjoyment: for all the reasons above, the more self confident you are, the happier you are with yourself; as a result, the more you always enjoy life
- Freedom from self doubt: the more self confident you become, the more free you become of the mental torture of doubting yourself, and questioning whether you’re ‘really’ valuable, or capable of achieving things you want to achieve
- Greater strength and capabilities: the more self confident you are, the stronger and more powerful you feel; you also naturally grow stronger and more confident when encountering challenges, rather than feeling weakened, crippled, and defeated by them
- Freedom from fear and anxiety: the more self confident you become, the more you know that you can accept, handle, learn, gain, and benefit from any situation, circumstance, or outcome; in this way, you naturally replace fear and anxiety with greater confidence in yourself and your abilities
- Freedom from social anxiety: the more secure you feel in your self worth, regardless of how others see you, the less concerned you are with what others might or might not think of you in social situations
- More peace of mind and less stress: freedom from self doubt, fear, and anxiety naturally translates into greater peace of mind and a more stress-free life
- More energy and motivation to act: the more confident you are that you can achieve things you want to achieve (like personal goals or dreams), the more motivated and energized you are to take action to achieve them
- More beneficial and enjoyable interactions with others: the happier and more confident you are, the more relaxed, comfortable, and at ease you are, and this naturally puts others at ease more around you; also, with these qualities, others tend to trust, respect, value, welcome, and cooperate with you more; the overall result is better and more enjoyable social interactions
- Better sleep & health: less fear and anxiety + less stress + more peace of mind + more happiness = you enjoying the health benefits of being more self confident, including better quality of sleep
- Greater success: in case it’s ever been a mystery to you why self confident people are naturally more successful, now you can clearly understand why there is such a high correlation between self confidence and success; each of the above benefits helps you achieve things you want to achieve faster and easier, which means you enjoy more success in life
How important is confidence?
It is important to appreciate that one of the most important benefits of being more self confident is that it naturally helps you become stronger and stronger over time, with everything you encounter and experience, rather than weaker and weaker.
How the effects of low self confidence weaken you
Consider what happens when you have low self confidence, and you feel like you can’t possibly accept or handle someone rejecting you in any way.
With this scenario, not only are you terrifed of putting yourself out there, and ‘risking’ rejection, but if you are rejected, it naturally feels like a nightmare to you, and makes you even more frightened of risking rejection in the future.
In this way, low self confidence (or a lack of self confidence) naturally makes you weaker and weaker over time.
How the benefits of high self confidence strengthen you
Inversely, if you have high self confidence, you have no doubt that you can easily accept and handle someone rejecting you, and as a result, you’re not afraid or anxious of putting yourself in situations where you might be rejected. And, if you are rejected, you see how easily you can, indeed, handle it, and emerge stronger than ever with such proof of how strong and capable you are.
In this way, high self confidence naturally makes you stronger and stronger over time.
When you consider all this, it’s a no-brainer: not only is it worth your time and effort to become a more self confident person, but it’s also worth your time to develop a high degree of self confidence that will always benefit you in life, and make your life easier and more rewarding in every way.
Do you want to be more self confident?
The most important question, right now, is this: do you want to increase your self confidence and become a more self confident person?
This is because the most important factor for becoming more self confident is to simply want to develop greater confidence in yourself, and to be decisive about taking action to do so, regardless of whether anyone else wants you to become more self confident or not.
With this clarity of mind, you are already well on your way to developing greater confidence in yourelf and your abilities.
If you’re thinking, ‘I want to be confident, but I don’t know how’, that’s fine.
Provided you have already learned what self confidence is, all this means is that your next step is to learn more about how to start developing it in a simple, easy way.
Next: I Lost My Confidence: How Do I Get It Back? →
You are here:
Section 1 Lessons:
- What confidence is & two benefits of being confident
- What is self confidence?
- Why is self confidence important?
- I lost my confidence: how do I get it back?